Friday, November 4, 2022

Blog Post Two: Supreme Power

 What I found most interesting about the Supreme Court article on History.com was how recently some of the laws were passed. Specifically, that it was only in 1989, Texas v. Johnson that flag burning and offensive speech became protected by the first amendment. Although, controversy over kneeling during the national anthem was in the news frequently during my high school years. I'm sure that this amendment was what the kneelers relied on to protect their right to protest their civil rights in this manner. 



I also was shocked to learn that same sex marriages were not legal across all fifty states until Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015 and that there have only been 115 justices to ever serve on the Supreme Court. This puts the justices in a very elite group. The important take-away point in this article is the power the Supreme Court holds in determining civil rights that impact our everyday. Personally, I didn't pay much attention to the Supreme Court and its rulings until this past summer when they reversed Roe v. Wade. 



As a woman, I find it unconstitutional that anyone can tell me what I can or cannot do with my own body. This change also reinforces the notion that politics and political agendas heavily influence the laws in our country. The ruling party at the time of appointment can have a major impact on civil liberties across the nation. I've never had an interest in politics, but if anything would make me want to get involved it would be over the right for a woman to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post Twelve: Technology

 Technology has revolutionized the way we communicate with one another over the past few decades. It has been a breakthrough in the modern w...